Undergraduate Studies: University of California, Berkeley (Summa Cum Laude, Genetics)
Medical School: University of California, Los Angeles
Internship/Residency: Stanford University School of Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Fellowship: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles (Cardiovascular diseases). Served as Chief Fellow.
Sub-specialty Fellowship: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Interventional Cardiology)
Fellow, American College of Cardiology
Fellow, Society for Coronary Angiography and Intervention
Clinical Faculty, UCLA School of Medicine
Attending Physician, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Board Exam Reviewer, American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Diseases, and Interventional Cardiology
Aamer Jamali was born in Detroit, Michigan, but raised in Thousand Oaks, CA. He is the proud father of two daughters (ages 6 and 3) and lives in West Hills with his family where his kids attend public school. His hobbies include golf and basketball.
Dr. Jamali has authored numerous publications including book chapters and peer-reviewed research, as well as being invited as a faculty speaker to international Cardiology meetings. He currently serves as faculty at the UCLA Medical School. He was honored with the Francis Ebaugh award for outstanding research by Stanford University in 2001. For a complete Bibliography, please see below.
Dr. Jamali’s clinical interests include general and interventional cardiology, structural heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, and closure of patent foramen ovale. His clinical philosophy focuses on “first, do no harm”, the first principle of the Hippocratic Oath. As such, he endeavours to maximize quality and length of life by minimizing the need for repeated interventions or unnecessary medications. His approach is aggressively patient-centered, with the patient’s best interests being first and foremost at all times.
Dr. Jamali’s Publications in the cardiology literature:
- 2008 Kobal S, Paran E, Jamali A, et al. Pheochromocytoma: cyclic attacks of hypertension alternating with hypotension. Nature Clinical Practice. 5(1): 53-57
- 2006 McClean D, Aragon J, Jamali A, Kar S, et al. Noninvasive Calibration of Cardiac Pressure Transducers in Patients With Heart Failure: An Aid to Implantable Hemodynamic Monitoring and Therapeutic Guidance. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 12(7): 568-576
- 2006 Jamali A, Makkar R. Percutaneous treatment for patients with end-stage aortic valve stenosis, Chapter in Common Clinical Dilemmas in Percutaneous Coronary Interventions. 2006. Informa Healthcare.
- 2006 Jamali A, Kar S, Eigler N et al. Jamali A, Kar S, Eigler N, et al. Successful Direct Left Atrial Pressure Monitoring via an Implantable HeartPOD Device in Animal Models: A Potential Adjunct to Rhythm Management for Heart Failure Patients. Accepted for Presentation at ACC 2006
- 2006 Jamali A, Kar S, Eigler N et al. A New Flexible Transeptal Catheter System Allows Stable Access Into The Left Atrium From The Femoral Or Jugular Venous Approach. Accepted for Presentation at ACC 2006
- 2005 Lee M, Shah A, Jamali A, Kar S, Dohad S, Aragon J, Makkar R. Drug Eluting Stenting is Superior to Bare Metal Stenting in Saphenous Vein Grafts: Results from the Cedars-Sinai Percutaneous Revascularization (CPR) Registry. In Press. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Intervention.
- 2005 Lee M, Shah A, Jamali A, Kar S, Dohad S, Aragon J, Makkar R. Drug Eluting Stenting is Superior to Bare Metal Stenting in Saphenous Vein Grafts. Presented at Transcatheter Therapeutics—Asia.
- 2005 Jamali A, Lee M, Makkar R. Coronary Perforation After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Successfully Treated with Local Thrombin Injection. In Press, Journal of Invasive Cardiology.
- 2005 Kar S, Jamali A, Aragon J, Tio F, Fishbein M, Litvack F, Mann B, Whiting J, Eigler N. Successful Direct Left Atrial Pressure Monitoring Via an Implantable HeartPOD Device in Animal Models: A Potential Adjunct to Rhythm Management in Heart Failure Patients. Presented at Society of Coronary Angiography and Intervention Scientific Sessions.
- 2004 Aragon J, Jamali A, Kar S, Litvack F, Eigler N. Pre-clinical Analysis of Pisces Formulations: Histologic Results of a Paclitaxel Eluting Stent with Programmable Release Kinetics. Oral Presentation, Transcatheter Therapeutics.
- 2004 Aragon J, Jamali A, Kar S, Litvack F, Eigler N. Evaluation of Overlapped Cobalt Chromium Paclitaxel Eluting Stents With Programmable Release Kinetics. . Oral presentation, Transcatheter Therapeutics.
- 2004 Kar S, Jamali A, Aragon J, Tio F, Fishbein M, Litvack F, Mann B, Whiting J, Eigler N. Implantable HeartPOD System Allows Chronic Noninvasive Chronic Left Atrial Pressure Monitoring in a Porcine Model. Oral presentation, Pediatric Interventional Cardiology Symposium.
- 2004 Jamali A, Kar SK, Aragon J, Litvack F, Mann B, Whiting J, Eigler N. Chronic Left Atrial Pressure Monitoring in Pigs with HeartPOD Heart Failure Therapy System. Presented, American Heart Failure Society Scientific Meeting
- 2004 Aragon J, McClean D, Kar SK, Jamali A, Bergman, Whiting J, Litvack F, Eigler N, Equilibration of Airway Pressure and Pulmonary Capillary Wedge Pressure with Valsalva’s Maneuver during Right Heart Catheterization in Patients with Congestive Heart Failure. Presented, American Heart Failure Society Scientific Meeting
- 2004 Jamali A, Bradfield J, Goldberg R, Makkar R, Kar S. Drug Eluting Stent Use is Associated with Increased Bare Metal Stent Use—Implications for Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Presented, Society for Coronary Angiography and Intervention Scientific Sessions.
- 2004 Witteles RM, Tang WH, Jamali A, Chyu JW, Reaven GM, Fowler MB. Insulin Resistance in Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy: A Possible Etiologic Link. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2004. 44(1):78-81.
- 2004 Aragon J, Kar S, Paresky A, Watanabe C, Jamali A, Litvack F, Eigler N. Optimization of Pharmacokinetic Vectors with a Programmable Paclitaxel Eluting Stent. Presented at American College of Cardiology 53rd Scientific Session.
- 2004 Kar S, Aragon J, McClean D, Jamali A, Whiting J, Litvack F, Eigler N. Chronic Implantation of Left Atrial Pressure Monitor in Porcine Model. Presented at American College of Cardiology 53rd Scientific Session.
- 2004 Jamali A, Ahmed R, Stein, H. An Unusual Cause of Dyspnea. Cardiology in Review. 2004 12(1):10-14
- 2003 Jamali A, Makkar R. Interventional Devices (Chapter). Chapter in Essential Concepts of Cardiovascular Intervention. 2003, Remedica Publishing, London.
- 2002 Jamali A, Fowler, M, et al. High Prevalence of Impaired Glucose Metabolism in Patients With Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Oral presentation at American College of Cardiology 51st Scientific Session.
- 2001 Jamali A, Fowler, M, et. al. The Role of Angiotensin Receptor Blockers in the Management of Chronic Heart Failure. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2001. March 12. 161(5):667-672.
- 2001 Tabibiazar, R, Jamali A et. al. Formulating Clinical Strategies for Angiotensin Antagonism: A Review of Pre-clinical and Clinical Studies. American Journal of Medicine. 2001. 110:471-480
- 1999 Jamali A, Vagelos, R. Hepatocellular Carcinoma Presenting with Signs of Right-Sided Heart Failure, A Case Report. Poster presentation at the Regional Conference of American College of Physicians.
- 1999 O’ Connell T, Huerta S, Taylor S, Jamali A Internal Medicine (Chapter) Classic Presentations and Rapid Review for the USMLE, Step 2. 1999. J&S Publishing. Alexandria, Virginia